With the changes to General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), we’re required to clarify what personal information you have provided to us, why we store it and how we store it. All data captured will be used and held in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended by the Data Protection Bill) and The EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation EU 2016/679), (‘GDPR’) which becomes effective from 25 May 2018
Words of Colour is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy sets out what personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, and how it will be used. Please read it through carefully and if you have any queries please contact [email protected]
Where we collect information from
When you give data to us directly:
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Complete one of our surveys
- Participate in one of our events
- Contact us on one of our, or our project’s online platforms such as (but not exclusively) our website www.wordsofcolour.co.uk, our project websites (www.digitalwomenuk.co.uk or www.theblackloveproject.co.uk), Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Contact us directly by telephone, electronically, post or in person with feedback
- When you give your consent for filming and/or audio and/or photography at one of our participatory events
When you give data to us indirectly:
- Purchase items through a third party for one of our events
- Open and/or follow links and interact with emails and marketing you receive
- Interact with us or mention us on social media sites
- Attend a public event when there is a photographer or videographer present
When you give permission to other organisations to share your data, or it is publicly available such as:
- Information publicly available such as Companies House, on the internet or published in newspapers and magazines
- Third party organisations when you have provided permission for your details to be shared. This could be other organisations we have worked with
- Your likes and preferences on social media and some websites (depending on your privacy settings on those platforms)
What we collect and how it is used
Personal data includes your contact details, your contact preferences, details of communications with you, images of you taken at participatory and public events, details of your transactions and your access requirements. This enables us to conduct business with you and provide you with the best service for your needs, and to keep you informed about Words of Colour Productions.
Depending on your device’s privacy settings, and those on other websites and apps you use, we may aggregate information you give us directly or indirectly to target online advertising and social media posts.
How a website tracks you depends on the privacy settings on the device you are using and any privacy settings you have set up with individual sites and apps.
Reporting and analysis
We use the data you give us directly and indirectly to report on participation at Words of Colour Productions and to improve your experience. This reporting is created from aggregated data and is not attributable to individuals.
When you visit our website, we may automatically collect technical information about your session including the Internet Protocol (IP) address that connects your device to the internet, the type of device you use, your browser, operating system and from where you have arrived at our site. We do not link this information to anything that identifies individuals. This information enables us to analyse how the website is used, where improvements can be made and to report to funding and public bodies, if relevant.
We use non-essential cookies on our website. A cookie is a small text file of letters and numbers that gets put onto your computer when you visit a website. This allows the site to distinguish you from other users. Non-essential cookies are used to track how you use and interact with our website and for analytical purposes and to monitor the efficacy of digital advertising. Cookies are not normally linked to information that allows us to identify individuals.
Surveys and promotions
We carry out promotions and surveys; as part of these we may ask you to disclose personal information. Participation is entirely voluntary and you have a choice whether to disclose Personal or Sensitive Personal Data. The data you supply is aggregated for reporting purposes and not attributed to individuals.
If you apply for a job, work experience or volunteer opportunity at Words of Colour, we collect Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data as part of your application. Your Equal Opportunities form is separated and immediately destroyed once the data has been logged.
How we keep your data safe and who has access
Paper files with Personal and Sensitive Personal Data are kept to a minimum and are stored securely when not in use.
If legally required, we may disclose your information to the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisors. We will only share your data in other circumstances with your consent.
If there is a breach of data that is likely to have a detrimental effect on individuals, for example, result in discrimination, damage to reputation, financial loss, loss of confidentiality or any other significant economic or social disadvantage, Words of Colour will notify the Information Commissioners Office (ico.org.uk) within 72 hours of becoming aware of the breach. Any individuals affected will also be notified within this timeframe.
Disclosure of your personal data
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we are required by law to do so.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it.
Links to external websites
Keeping your information up to date
Please let us know when your details change so we can make sure that our information is current. However, we do have other processes in place to ensure that we keep our records up to date:
- If we find a record on our system that matches another one and we are sure it is the same person, we may merge the two accounts so we have all your information in the same place.
- Images and film taken of the public and participants may be used for up to 10 years for marketing and publicity purposes by Words of Colour. After this point it will either be deleted, or if deemed to be of historical and public interest, added to our archive.
How to contact us
By email: [email protected]
By phone: 020 3176 5646
By mail: Words of Colour Productions, Second Home, 68-80 Hanbury Street, London E1 5JL
You can update your contact preferences at any time by contacting [email protected]
If you wish to amend your data, ask us to stop using your Personal and Sensitive Personal Data for reasons other than processing your application, or erase your Personal and/or Sensitive Personal Data please contact us at [email protected].
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. To request this please send an email to [email protected] We do not make a charge for this. We endeavour to respond to requests within 30 days.